2nd Sgt Morgan Price

Morgan Price, 2nd Sgt. Company F, 10th Texas Regiment, Texas Infantry
Morgan Price was born ca. 1831 in Mississippi, the son of Jonathan and Mary Price. In 1850 the Price family was living in Lawrence County, Mississippi with Morgan attending school along with six siblings – five sisters and one brother.

Nancy Jane Myers and Morgan Price were married in 1855 in Lawrence County, Mississippi. By the late 1850s they had moved to the town of Booneville in Brazos County, Texas with there daughter and two sons.
On October 13, 1861 Morgan Price enrolled in the Confederate States Army at Millican, Texas as a non-commissioned officer a 2nd Sargent, in Captain Semore C. Brasher’s Company, Nelson’s Regiment of the Texas Volunteers. This company later became Company F, 10th Texas Regiment, Texas Infantry. 2nd Sgt. Price mustered into service at Houston, Texas on the same date. By November, Nelson’s Regiment was stationed at Virginia Point at Galveston, Texas.

A “Statement of Ordnance” or Statement of Arms at Hand” was described in a letter written by 1st Lt. J.T. Hearne on November 20, 1861, which showed the lack of weapons needed for the men at Virginia Point. The number of men totaled 497 while only 273 soldiers had muskets. 44 men were issued other types of weapons, which left 180 men without any weapons at all. This left an uneasy feeling amongst the troops at Virginia Point.

In March of 1862, the 10th Texas Infantry was stationed at Camp Brazos, Texas, when Colonel Allison Nelson gave the order to march the regiment to a new assignment with the Trans Mississippi Department. This assignment would take them to Little Rock, Arkansas. The10th Texas would arrive at Little Rock without the desperately needed weapons. It was four days after their arrival at Little Rock when the weapons were finally received.

On June 11, 1862 more weapons were received for the troops, but this time they were severely short on ammunition. Due to this lack of ammunition, the 10th Texas was unable to aide a Confederate garrison at Ft. Charles, Arkansas. Major General Thomas Hindman submitted the following report:
“Several days before this battle, Col. (afterward Brig. Gen.) Allison Nelson, now deceased, a most excellent officer, arrived at Little Rock, from Texas with his well-armed and finely-disciplined regiment of infantry. He was ordered to Saint Charles, in ample time to have reached there before it’s fall, but being without ammunition, was detained at Devall’s Bluff until I had succeeded in begging, buying, and impressing enough for 40 rounds, making it into cartridges and sending it to him by rail.”

Compiled Service Records show that on November 9, 1862, 2nd Sgt. Morgan Price was promoted to 1st Sergeant. From January 9-11, 1863the war would take its toll on 1st Sgt. Price. Fort Hindeman, or Arkansas Post, was built to defend against the Union army taking over the Arkansas River. The Confederate army was put in charge of this post in the fall of 1862. With Confederate troops numbering in the thousands settled in at the fort, the Union army attacked in their gunboats and on land, with charge after charge. This bombardment forced the Confederate troops into the fort on the bank of the river, where they surrendered their remaining troops on January 11th.

On January 11, 1863, 1st Sgt. Price’s name appeared on a Roll of Prisoners of War at Camp Douglas in Chicago, Illinois. Camp Douglas was known for its high mortality rate, unhealthy living conditions, disease, rodent infestation, lack of food and water along with extreme brutality towards the prisoners.

!st Sgt. Price was held at Camp Douglas for three months then appears on a Company Muster Roll “in hospital at Dalton, Ga.”

The Compiled Service Records for Price state the following:
“Most of the members of this regiment (the 10th Texas) were captured at Arkansas Post, Ark., January 11, 1863, and exchanged in April, 1863 east of the Mississippi River where they were temporarily consolidated in May, 1863 with similar remnants of the 6th Regiment Texas Infantry and the 15th Regiment Texas Cavalry. This consolidation was broken up in March 1864, and each company of this organization was mustered separately and under its original designation during that entire period. About April, 1865, this remnant of the regiment became Company D and E of the regiment which was formed by the consolidation of Granbury’s Texas Brigade and was paroled at Greensboro, N.C. about May 1, 1865.”

In 1866 in Millican, Brazos County, Texas, Morgan held a liquor license for Waggoner’s Bar. In 1870 Morgan operated a dry goods and grocery store in Bryan, Texas, and two more children, two sons, had been born with one son passed away.

In 1877 the family homesteaded land near Abilene, Taylor County, Texas. By 1880 the Price family resided in Precinct No. 3 in Taylor County, Texas where Morgan was listed as a farmer. The family numbered seven with wife Nancy, daughter Mary Ann, sons Joseph, Richard and Fred, and youngest daughter, Stella.

Sometime between 1880 and 1884, Morgan’s wife died in Texas and Morgan moved to California. Fred Price, son of Morgan and Nancy, stated thathis mother died when he was a young man. Fred worked on various ranches in Texas then traveled with older brother Joe to San Jacinto, California with horses to sell. They sold most of the horses at a profit, but kept a few to begin a freighting business with the horses and wagons. Around 1889 Morgan joined son Joe in California to help with the new venture.

A marriage license was issued in Los Angeles County, California on September 12, 1893 to “Morgan Price, a native of Mississippi, age 61 years, to Joanna Walter, a native of Germany, age 60 years; both residents of Fairmont.”

In 1900 Morgan and Johanna were living close to his son Fred in Fairmont, a town located on the west side of Antelope Valley. Around 1908, Morgan took up a homestead at North Portal in West Antelope Valley. He later sold part of the property to the Los Angeles Water and Power Company for a reservoir the Fairmont Reservoir. In 1910 Morgan was living with Fred and his wife Lulu (Walters) and their daughter Ada. Johanna Price died January of 1912.

Morgan Price passed away on October 13, 1919 at Del Sur on the west side of the Antelope Valley. He was buried at Lancaster Cemetery on October 15 in an unmarked grave, where he rests next to his son Fred, constable of Fairmont Township for twenty-four years, who died in 1946.
The following obituary was printed in the Ledger- Gazette newspaper on October 19, 1919:

Mr. Morgan Price died Monday at 10 o’clock at the home of his son, Mr. Fred Price, with who he had lived for the passed eight years. A complication of diseases incident to old age, was the cause of his death. He had reached the ripe old age of 88, and had enjoyed splendid health all of his life up to within a few weeks before his death. He leaves a son, Mr. Fred Price, and a number of friends in the valley,to mourn his loss. Internment occurred Wednesday afternoon at 3 o’clock in Lancaster cemetery, Mr. W.S. Mumaw having charge of the burial.

Mr. Price was born and reared in Mississippi, removing to California about thirty years ago. His wife preceded him to the other shore several years ago.

Leave a Comment